Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Hot Toys - Thor: The Dark World Loki Review

A little preview.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


Hello! It's been a long while!
I've been taking a break from buying dolls in an effort to save money. Good thing too, because my newest doll blew a giant hole in my wallet! :D
Today I'm reviewing Hot Toys Thor: The Dark World Loki (the special Aether edition) that was released in 2014.
I bought my Loki for $209.99 with ~$11 shipping off of eBay.

Thank you generous seller! That's a great price for the special edition! At the time I was looking to buy him, the special edition went up to $270.
o_____o

I decided to get Loki because I've been reading and buying a lot of his comics lately. The old and new stuff. Then I went back and re-watched all the Marvel movies currently out so far.
I adore him very much. (:

The box containing the plastic containing the box containing Loki.

EHEHEHEHE. *u*

The plastic containing the box containing da bebeh.

*choir* Ah~

This box is really neat! Definitely worth keeping if you're a collector. It's shaped like Thor's hammer, Mjölnir.

Side of the box.

Back of the box.


I opened the box and there's an insert inside crediting the artists. Thank you artists~!

The Loki image on the insert.

And closer.

omgomgomg.
I lifted the insert to reveal Loki!

Instruction sheet!
Oh uh... I forgot to take pictures of the instructions... I'm sure it's easy to figure out, lol.

I lifted the plastic off~

Here he is! He comes with a stand with a nameplate, manacles, a dagger, two extra sets of hands, a pair of spare pegs, and the light-up Aether!

NOTE: I bought the special edition version of this Loki figure. The regular Loki doesn't come with the Aether.

A friend of mine told me it's a good idea to keep everything because collectors love it. That means the box and all the plastic he's wrapped in. I don't plan on ever selling him but I'm keeping everything anyway because well... I love it. lol

"You must be truly desperate to come to me for help."

He's a lot heavier than any of my other dolls! He feels thick and sturdy. Loki is my first ever Hot Toys figure so all this is a new experience. I don't own any other dolls/figures like him.

Apparently he has 30 points of articulation, but I'm not going to explore that. I'm still afraid to touch him too much.

Now the back!
The amount of detail on him is incredible! His clothes look and feel well-made and high-quality!

Front view.
There's so much expression in this sculpt.

3/4ths-ish.

Side view.
I like how at different angles he can express a range of emotions.


And here I went and took photos of his clothes at random angles. (':

I can't take his clothes off because there are threads from his jacket that connect to his vest (?) and I really don't want to cut them.


Feels like real metal. It might be real metal.


His shoulder plate.

I read somewhere that his shoulder plate is supposed to represent one of his sons in Norse mythology, the wolf, Fenrir. 




Crotch shot! But like, not really.

Loki's trousers (backside).
I lifted his jacket up to get this angle.


His boot-covers are separate from his trousers and his shoes.


Dirty-dirty~
Look at that detail! :D
There's dirt!

Jacket flaps.
The strips going across his jacket flaps (I don't know what to call them) shift colour from red to yellow depending on what angle you're looking at them.

The extra pegs!
Now I'm going to show you the extra stuff Loki came with. (:

One hand for holding the dagger and the other is relaxed.

Here's one of the extra pair of hands.


Loki's dagger.




Clenched hands.

Here's the second extra set of hands!


The Aether!


The handles can move.

Sorry for the bad quality photo!

And they can fold down completely.

The light switch.
It's supposed to be able to light up, but mine didn't. I wonder if the battery is dead or maybe it doesn't come with one at all. That might be in the instructions... heh.
I should really take a look at it.
(.____.)"




Manacles.


This is a photo of one of the larger cuffs that go around his ankles.
The cuff around his head is the same size as the ones around his ankles.



The two smaller cuffs go around his hands.


I was trying for a good five minutes to figure out how to open the cuffs on the shackles, then it finally came to me "Oh yeah... his joints are pegs".
You have to pop off Loki's head, hands, and feet to be able to have him wear the chains.



"I'll let you whip me if I misbehaaaave~"


Now it's time for the height comparison~ Loki is 32cm tall. That's about 12 and a half inches.




And here he is next to the boys, Monster High InvisiBilly and Ever After High Dexter Charming.

He looks so out of place beside these cartoonish characters!

"Call me Sigyn" whispered Wencheng Sigyn.

These next set of pictures are me living out some sort of romantic dance fantasy through my Kurhn doll. lmao.






They look happy!



If I find any features I missed with my Loki I'll be sure to update this post. I've been treating him like a delicate newborn so it's possible I may have missed something.

EDIT: 27 September 2016
Loki and Wonder Woman
They're about the same height! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment